Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:12:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Turion64 x2 vs Centrino Duo 2 which is faster for FreeBSD and KDE Desktop?

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:12:25 +0300 Abdullah Al-Marrie wrote:

[broken up Xpost]

> I plan to buy a new notebook and will use FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, I have
> 2 choices, Turion64 x2 with 2.0 GHz and Centrino Duo 2 with 2.0 GHz,
> but with 2 GB DDR2 ram, with the same speed of the hd 5400 RPM.
>
> So which of them will buildworld, and ports from source faster? both
> of them will use AC not on battery when do these stuff.

I doubt that you will notice any big difference. While the AMD64 port is
quite nicely tested and very swift by now, the optimizations towards
Intel aren't bad either - even though this isn't true 64Bit processor.

In this case the HD will probably be the bottle-neck, not being able to
read and write the data quick enough to cause 100% CPU load. You would
have to 'make -j 4' at least to get anywhere near 100% load (I even have
to do that for 2 UltraSPARC II CPUs with 450MHz). And that really causes
load on a hard drive.

Just my 2 cents...
Chris