Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:37:49 +0200
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing 6.0-BETA3

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:23:20 -0400
Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:

> > If the card is a 16bit pcmcia card make sure the bridge is set to 16bit.
>
> How do I do that?

On my old Thinkpad you had to access the BIOS and there were pcmcia
settings in one of the menus. It was set to 16bit, changing it made it
possible to use a realtek8139-based cardbus card. This was in the
5.0-CURRENT days, btw, so YMMV.

> > I wouldn't blame WITNESS on this. Laptops, especially old ones, have
> > incredibly slow disks. The buildworld process is heavily i/o bounded,
> > my bet is on the disk subsystem.
>
> According to systat and top, the CPU is never idle -- as would've been the
> case, if the I/O were the limiting factor. The Sys-component of `systat -vm'
> was steadily above 50%.
>
> Now that I have a witness-less kernel, the builds are, indeed, I/O bound.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take now for a buildworld run? The
only full world build I ever did on my old laptop was for OpenBSD and I
left overnight.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>