Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:09:18 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Dave Rideout" <drideout@cssnow.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation

Dave Rideout <drideout@cssnow.com> types:
> I know this might be a little off topic, but I am going to ask, because I
> respect the decisions of a lot of people on this list :)
>
> My boss wants our IT system to be thoroughly documented.  Is there an
> industry standard way of doing this?

The industry standard seems to be DDI (Don't Do It).

Depending on exactly what you want documented, there are a number of
approaches to take. Jim mentioned DocBook, which is a very flexible
solution for writing documentation that's fairly static. Things like
standard procedures for operations staff would go well there.

If the goal is to document configuration information, I keep all the
files in a source code control system. This means all the changes to
the system configuration are documented as to when and why, and are
easily reversible. It also has the advantage that I can install a
standard configuration on a system with a single command.

	<mike