Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:16:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Snapshots suggestions

Hi,

What is the right address or mailing list for suggestions
regarding the creation of snapshots?  I have the following
two suggestions:

 - sysinstall seems to look only in /pub/FreeBSD for the
   installation packages.  This makes it difficult to install
   a snapshot from an FTP site; you have to enter the complete
   URL manually.  It would probably be a good thing to look
   into /pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/<platform> as well.

 - On the snapshot sites ({releng*,current}.freebsd.org),
   there's a directory /pub/FreeBSD/current which contains
   some common stuff (XFree, compat22, packages).  On the
   main site (ftp.freebsd.org), the same is contained in
   /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current, which in turn is a symlink
   to branches/-current.  It would make mirroring a lot
   easier if the directories had been named the same on both
   sites.
   (Apart from that, I think it's not a good idea to start
   a filename with "-".)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)