Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 12:23:17 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "George C. Fassett, Jr." <fassett@gfit.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        reynolds@gfit.net
Subject:   Re: Question about 17.2 gig Ultra ATA / Maxtor DiamondMax 4320

On Monday, 23 November 1998 at 19:37:52 -0500, George C. Fassett, Jr. wrote:
> I have recently purchased a brand new Dell Dimension XPS vPii350 w/ 128mg of
> ram and the largest harddisk I could -- we are currently running a FreeBSD
> v2.2.x Server on an older 200 mhz MMX.  with 4gig.
>
> The new computer has come with a Maxtor DiamondMax 4320, which by convention
> is breaking the 8.4 gig limits.  The BIOS is recognizing the harddisk
> correctly, and showing it to be of 17.2gig, but we cannot get the partition
> manager to allow us more than 8gig partition.  We have tryed manually
> entering the drives geometry, but that is not doing the trick.

You don't say which version of FreeBSD you're running.  IIRC there
were some mods done in this area between 2.2.7 and 2.2.8.  You should
definitely use 2.2.8 on this system.

> Do you know of any support documents, or know an answer to this problem.  As
> you might imagine, we are hoping to use all 17gig of harddisk space.  We
> would like to cut the drive in 1/2, using 8gig for the /usr and split the
> other 8 gig up between /var and /scr

Why do you want to do this?  This is a sure-fire way to run out of
space on one file system and have plenty left on another.

Greg