Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 14:46:13 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Source of "processor correctable error"?

Since the weekend my PC164 has taken to almost continuously spewing
gobs of

Warning: received processor correctable error.

In fact I first noticed this because writing the error messages to
the serial console took so much time the machine became sluggish.
I've switched to a graphics console now.

Anyway, is there a way to narrow down the source of the underlying
hardware problem?  What are the candidates anyway?  On-chip cache,
off-chip cache, main memory?

The machine has eight SIMMs (for a total of 256M).  I guess, I'll
start by taking out half (and setting the memory width back to 128
bits) and see whether this has any effect.

Suggestions?