Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 12:52:14 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MySQL or Postgresql on FreeBSD, have I just started a holy war?

Mailing Lists wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just been getting ready to start serious MySQL development on a
> Dual Processor FreeBSD box and I stumbled across the following blog
> entry on the web today which has me thinking:
>
> http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000203.html#000203
>
> The coles notes version is that the author, who seems to have some chops
> in both MySQL and FreeBSD (looks like he's a sysadmin at Yahoo, hi if
> you're out there Jeremy), has come across some issues with threading and
> smp support while using MySQL & FreeBSD. Now, of course, he doesn't
> mention is the machines where these issues come up are super high
> traffic or not, so this may be all moot if you're not running say, Yahoo!
>
> I'm still a babe in the woods when it comes to MySQL, but I'm
> redeveloping several databases that I did some time ago in a proprietary
> database solution (4D) and I'll be damned if I'm going to redo these
> things again any time soon, so I'd like to know that I've made the right
> choice of DB & Platform. I've been really happy with 4D overall, but
> need to have more connectivity options, hence the move.
>
> There must be a ton of people running MySQL on FreeBSD, so my first
> question is, are the issues raised here ones likely to occur on a low to
> medium volume system? I'm doing about 100,000 queries a day on our
> current db server from a variety of websites and would expect this
> volume to double or triple in the next year.
>
> My FreeBSD Box is currently DP PIII 500's, but I'll be upgrading it to
> Ghz PIII's before deployment with a gig of RAM, more if needed. My
> current DB server is actually an iMac, it's a long story, with a 400Mhz
> G3 and 512 mb RAM running OS X 10.2 and keeping up quite nicely, so I
> don't imagine the hardware itself will be a limiting factor.
>
> My second question is, if it looks like this will potentially be an
> issue, how does Postgresql perform on FreeBSD. I could use it just as
> easily as MySQL and, from what I've heard, it's a little beefier in some
> aspects. With regards to threading issues, am I likely to be happier
> with Postgresql in the long term?

Im far from skilled in SQL and databases, but I have used postgre on
FreeBSD for some time, and never had any problems. I run a few db's,
the biggest probably around 25000 rows and maybe 300 hits a day, so I
cant really say its under any kind of load worth mentioning. However,
I have tried to stress it a bit with a few simple perl scripts bombing
it with queries. On a dual PII 233 with 256M ram I couldnt even make
it break a sweat. As I said, Im no SQL guru, my very primitive
"benchmark" was just a few perl loops sending queries as fast as they
could. No matter how I tried I couldnt even notice any impact on the
machine's performance...I guess the SQL answered faster then my perl
loops could generate queries. :)

 From what I've read and experienced, postgre seems to be an excellent
choice on FreeBSD. And I do love FreeBSD, but to me this sound like
the old "use whatever gets the job done" saying.
If linux can do what you want and do it good, you really shouldnt run
it on BSD just for the sake of it.