Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:12:35 +0400
From:      Igor Roboul <igor@raduga.dyndns.org>
To:        Rolandas Naujikas <rn@uosis.mif.vu.lt>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to update -STABLE from remote location ?

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 08:16:01AM +0200, Rolandas Naujikas wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I'm administrator of a server with FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE.
> Before some time I found than it is not possible replace executable
> and shared libraries when are used for execution ("Text file busy" error
> message). So how can I update my -STABLE from remote location ?
> I'm thinking abount alternate disk partitions for /usr, /var and /, so I
> would be able to update into alternate location, and switch rootdev to
> updated location. How I can switch to boot from different partition ?
Hello,
But why you don't use "make installworld ; make installkernel ; reboot ;
mergemaster"? It works fine for me from remote login.
But _this_ is not very good (there are some cautions in handbook,
UPDATING etc.) But it is worked for me at least 3 times.

Q:
Also, is it possible to use serial console with autoanswering modem?

If it is possible, then you can just use serial console, and "normal" way:
goto single model make installworld ; make installkernel ; reboot ; mergemaster

Udachi :-)

--
Igor Roboul, Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",
Sochi, Russia