Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:37:51 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Noisy make -j output

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 04:01:04PM +0000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> After a fresh buildworld on a system last built in November:
> hydra2# make buildworld -j8 -s
> --- upgrade_checks ---
> --- make ---
> [...]
>
> Why the extra-spammy output now?

It's the intended operation of pmake/bmake from 4.4BSD.  One reason I
believe we haven't trusted 'make -j' in the past is it can be very hard
to unwind the output when there is a build error.  It turns out this is
because dg in the past neutered them (presumably he didn't understand
their value).  After having used a bmake with the stock behavior I've
seen how valuable the markers are.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)