Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 2010 05:48:43 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Printing from Thunderbird

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:23:46 -0700, Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net> wrote:
>   I have Thunderbird installed on my new 8.1 box, and although I am able
> to print from within the program, the only way I can do it is to type
> the whole print command from within the print window.  In my case that
> means typing:
>
>      lpr  -PPhotoshop7760
>
> I have tried to figure a way of configuring the printer to load
> automatically by modifying the advanced options, but so far, no luck.
> The printer is installed via CUPS, and seems to be functioning
> perfectly.  If anyone has been able to modify the options configuration
> setup to make printing easier I would love to see how you did it.

You can set the environmental variable $PRINTER according to the
name of the default printer. In my case, I have

	setenv PRINTER Laserjet

in my /etc/csh.cshrc (for system-wide use). Now all lp* commands
will default to that printer, and printing from within applications
that use lpr's stdin will also work.

PS: I'm not using CUPS, but apsfilter, which is the "little brother"
    of CUPS, to translate printing data to PCL and have duplex settings
    for my HP Laserjet 4000 duplex.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany