Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 15:22:42 -0500
From:      Xiaowei Yang <yxw@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifconfig kills my machine

> > However, "ifconfig fxp0" killed the machine. I lost keyboard. I tried to
> > uncomment the lines in rc.network and left only
> > network_interfaces="lo0". Still , rebooting died at the ifconfig point.
> >

> I've seen this on a Toshiba Equium 7000S, with onboard fxp0.  The first
> DMA operation in the configuration of the chip never completes.  I re-
> installed 2.2.7 on that machine, since I didn't have time to investigate
> then.  If I ever get done with my "FPX" code at work (maybe this week,
> if I'm lucky) I'll poke into this fxp problem. ;^)

The problem might be fixed by enabling PCI bus-mastering in the BIOS.
My cards seem to work now. Both 2.2.6 and 2.2.7 donot have this problem.
My machine used to work under 2.2.6 without enabling PCI bus-mastering
and I have another hardware identical machine running 2.2.7 with fxp0
and de0 without PCI bus-mastering.

Thanks a lot for the help from this list.  I am happy I survived 3.0
upgrade.

--Xiaowei