Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:10:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with new sound code?

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> However i suspect you have misconfigured the card... your kernel
> config line should read
>
> 	device pcm0 .... flags 0x15 ...

	Actually I just copied the thing from LINT, so I had 0x0, thanks
for the hint. I recompiled with this option, and CD's still work, and the
Real Audio raplayer works as well as it did with the old drivers (that is,
it plays but the volume control on the widget does nothing).

	I get the following errors on the console when I play the real
audio dingus:

SNDCTL_DSP_SUBDIVIDE yet unimplemented
SNDCTL_DSP_SUBDIVIDE yet unimplemented

I also get the following in the boot probe, not sure if they are a problem
or not:

mss_probe: no address supplied, try default 0x530
sb_probe: no address supplied, try defaults (0x220,0x240)
pcm0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa

it was "done," putting aside my strident objection to committing anything
to -Stable that doesn't actually work, this situation could have been
avoided by a simple comment in LINT to the effect that this option doesn't
actually work yet.

	There isn't much that I can do for the project, but since I run
-Stable day in and day out, I can test new things, and even test fixes
with a certain degree of sophistication and usefulness. In this case I
have followed the discussion about the new drivers, saw the commit message
and decided to give it a go. I figured someone like me who does not depend
on the sound code for anything useful would be a good candidate for
testing this, and I hope my efforts were of use.

	In any case, no harm no foul. Thanks to Luigi and Nate for their
help, and even thanks to Jordan for wanting to get this in sooner rather
than later. :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest