Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:00:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael G. Thompson" <mthompsn@mica.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tl NIC problem (2nd try)

This is my second hack at it.  I have 3.3-RELEASE installed on a Compaq
Proliant 1600.  During boot, the kernel sees the onboard NIC as a
ThunderLAN (as it should,) but then prints out the message:

/kernel:  tl0:  couldn't map ports

It prints this immediately after the kernel messages where it recognizes
the NIC.  I have portmapper turned of in /etc/rc.conf, but I din't think
that it should have an effect on the card, that step doesn't come until
later in the boot process.  Help, anyone?  Has anybody seen this error
message before?  I have checked the Handbook and the FAQ, no joy there.
TIA.

|   Michael G. Thompson, Director of Computer and Network Services   |
|   Maryland Institute, College Of Art - Campus Technical Services   |
|         1300 Mount Royal Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland  21217        |
|   Voice: (410) 225-2464                      Fax: (410) 225-2468   |