Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 13:38:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD with Celeron 266?

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Vincent Poy wrote:
>
> > Greetings everyone,
> >
> > 	I was wondering does anyone else here have experience running
> > FreeBSD with a Celeron 266 CPU?  The 266 is the one without the L2 cache
> > so basically it has no L2 cache at all.  We have it overclocked at 400Mhz
> > by using 100Mhz FSB.  Anyways, it seems like every once in awhile it would
> > hang for a few brief moment.  Is this because of the non-existent L2
> > cache?  The AMD K6-2 400 with 128 megs of RAM blows it away even doing a
> > make world when this machine has 384 megs of RAM.  The K6-2 400 took 1
> > hour and 30 minutes to finish the make world while the Celeron 266 CPU
> > took 3 hours and 30 minutes.
>
> Over-clocking leads to unpredictable results, your guess is as good as
> ours.  If you experiance the problem when clocked normally it'd be
> interesting problem to persue.

	The problem is still there even at 66Mhz bus...  Because this was
what I tried before just to verify it wasn't the overclocking that is
causing it except that the only thing I can think of is that there is no
L2 cache in the Celeron 266 which might be the problem.  To be honest, it
seems like everything since the Pentium and up has L2 cache.  Only the
Celeron's don't.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]