Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 16:46:19 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Removeable Media and Non-Root Users

Hello:

I'm struggling with the topic of how to ease the use of removeable media
for non-root users, and I would like some advice.  I'm an old-time
FreeBSD user (luser? maybe.) coming from a stint of using RedHat Linux
6.x.  If you've never seen the Gnome environment in RH6.x, it's got
these nice icons for the various types of removeable media on the
desktop and clicking on them automagically mounts the media in a
pre-defined spot.  I would like to replicate as closely as possible this
behaviour.

I don't even know where to start.  With FreeBSD, I'm using KDE,
primarily because the out-of-box Gnome with Enlightenment setup is too
busy, and I don't know how to un-busy it.  Has anyone tackled making
removeable media easier to use for non-root users?  If so, I would
greatly appreciate some information on how to do it.  I would prefer a
solution that integrates into the KDE GUI.

One thought:  Is it possible to use amd to automatically mount
filesystems on removeable media?

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware