Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 13:54:48 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Jacob Zehnder <jrz@cnmnetwork.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Jamie Rishaw <jamie@exodus.net>] FreeBSD 3.1 remotereboot exploit

Brett Glass wrote:

> What would be the motivation for FUDding FreeBSD in this way? I would not
> panic, but I would also ask for more information and would not dismiss the
> report out of hand. The tone of Jordan's message makes him look defensive
> rather than cautious and diligent.

We just heard from the security-officer that followup emails have
been made and that no other reports of exploits have been posted.
Being the security officer is not Jordan's job, he was simply informing
us that he wouldn't be saying anything about this until more is known.
If it were widespread, we'd be hearing from CERT.

The fact that no information whatsoever was included in the post points
out that the poster had no intention of helping in any way.  What his
motiviations for this are we cannot tell.