Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 14:13:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Union mounts and other mounts

> Terry, are you out there?

Yes, I'm here.  I broke my back two weeks ago last Thursday, and
have been pretty much laid up and starving for network access.  8-(.

> Please upload your mega patches.  I'm sure someone will take a look and
> maybe we can at least start with getting the locks fixed.
>
> Or do we just have to dream about the possibilities?

I will not be able to get to this until this weekend.  Basically, it's
nothing more than a CVS diff on my machine, or I can upload the full
/sys directory (like Poul wanted).  I can't give him direct access
because all incoming connections are firewalled by the corporate
gateway.

> I want to mount my home source directory on top of a FreeBSD CD and
> compile as if the CD were writable.

Me too.

> I want to start working on a non-itar restricted crypto-fs layer.

This would be cool.

> I want to see a gzip layer.

Two of John's students have already implemented one of these; I have
the code here, but only on the condition that it not be redistributed.

I like the idea of block compression better than file compression.  It
goes a long way towards using the character set as a compression
attribute (ie: an ISO-8859-1 character set is a "compressed" ISO-10646/16
character set, assuming you use only ISO-8859-1 characters... etc.).

You may wish to check with John directly re compression layer code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.