Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2001 17:17:29 +0100
From:      David Larkin <David.Larkin@djl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com
Subject:   Re: install of FreeBSD 4.3 hangs

> burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I received my 4.3 CD set a few days ago ... have been waiting to place it
> > 'next to' my Debian GNU/Linux installation for weeks now ... fwiw, I am
> > new to FreeBSD.
> >
> > Preparation (resizing partitions, etc) went flawlessly, but I have twice
> > had the install hang interminably when trying to install
> > XFree86-Server-4.0.3_1. Here is what I get:
> >
> > "Adding packages/All/XFree86-Server-4.0.3_1.tgz from acd0c"
> >
> > "Package XFree86-Server-4.0.3_1 read successfully - waiting for
> > pkg_add(1)"

I've had this kind of thing happen a number of times.

I now tend to  complete the install without adding any packages

Once the installation is complete and I have a working system
I immediately run /stand/sysinstall , configure , packages

Doesn't guarantee that the package will add but does stop it from
messing up OS install