Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:44:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   re: the great ports/packages debate

Please _no_ -- let's not use rpm.

-- Jay

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Donald Burr wrote:

->Version control for ports/packages would be nice too.  IMHO one of the
->best port/package systems out there is the  RPM system from RedHat
->(http://www.redhat.com/)  I just installed RedHat Linux on a friend's
->machine and have fallen in love with the RPM system.  It handles the
->version upgrade (and even downgrade!) problem nicely, it NEVER
->overwrites those configuration files you spent hours and hours
->tweaking on, and it's also freely available (GPL, I think).  Hey, it's
->even in the FreeBSD ports/packages collection!  It would be really nice if
->FreeBSD could switch to RPM as the default port/package handler.  I'm no
->legal expert, but I think it can be used without any monetary
->recompensation necessary...
->
->Oh well, just my 2.0% of $1USD...
->
->Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
->WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
->Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
->Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.
->