Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:54:27 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Lone Wolf <hubaghdadi@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is my hard ware sufficient?

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 03:34:31AM -0800, Lone Wolf wrote:

> >>It is not bundled.  Almost nothing is bundled.
> But it is available in ports and installing it is one of the
> special options during a standard installtion.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong:
> GNOME (or KDE) in included in FreeBSD downloaded file but it isn't installed
> by default, but it can be installed during installation process if I want to.
> If I'm wrong, does this mean that I have to connect to Internet during
> FreeBSD installation?
> Thanks.

This depends on which ISO you use and your method of installation.
I normally just use the cd to load the installation programs - sysinstall -
and download everything over the net during installation.

But, you can install from the stuff on the CD set and Gnome and KDE are
in that set as well as many other things.

Note that ports are continuously updated, so the one you install
over the net could be newer than the one from the CD.

////jerry