Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 22:59:54 +1300
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel compile problem

On Sun, Nov 01, 1998 at 07:44:52AM +0100, Leif Neland wrote:

> Is the problem that committing isn't 'atomical'?
>
> How about if the committer started by committing
> /usr/src/DONT_MAKE_WORLD_NOW
> then committed various stuff, then removed
> /usr/src/DONT_MAKE_WORLD_NOW
> This file could contain an explanation why the world shouldn't be made.
>
> The makefile should then check for the existance of this file.
>
> This could be implemented right now. It won't require updating cvsup and
> cvsupd.
>
> But this will give problems when several people are updating different
> parts of the tree...

So we need a semaphore; however, a single lock file with a counter in it
doesn't sound very practical for cvsup.

How about a directory called "lock" in whatever part of the source tree
is appropriate, into which committers deposit a file named with their e-mail
address, containing a description of why the source tree is locked?

bsd.subdir.mk could check for files within this subdirectory and fail
quoting the contents of any files that are present.

The same branch of the tree could be locked by more than one committer
(since their respective lock files would have different names).

Having lock directories at appropriate depths in the source tree would
be better than one "don't make world" lock file -- that way if I want
to rebuild and reinstall /usr/src/usr.bin/ I won't be affected by a
transient commit lock in /usr/src/usr.sbin/ (for example).

If no "lock" subdirectory is present, this should be interpreted as
"there are no locks for this branch".

Just an idea :) Whaddayathink?

Joe

--