Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 04:39:16 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <nnd@mail.nsk.ru>
Subject:   Re: -current kernel hangs?

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:57:02 +0700 (NOVST)
> >From: nnd@mail.nsk.ru

> >	I have some kind of "workaround" (see the patch).
> >In my config without this patch 'sysctl -a' hungs at net.inet.accf
> >and with this patch it successfully run up to the end.
> >I can not see what is wrong with the lines disabled by the patch.
>

> After building today's -CURRENT OK (and observing that the behavior was
> still the same for my custom kernel), I tried building a GENERIC kernel.
> Much to my surprise (and different from my experience on 06 July --
> last time I had built a GENERIC kernel for -CURRENT), that kernel did
> not exhibit the symptoms.
>
> I've now managed to circumvent the problem by:
>
> * Removing the "device	pcm" specification in my custom kernel config.
>
> * Adding the lines
>
> 	snd_pcm_load="YES"
> 	snd_maestro_load="YES"
>
>   to /boot/loader.conf
>
> * Re-building the kernel.  (cd /usr/src; make kernel KERNCONF=LAPTOP_30W)
>
> * Re-booting.
>
> It took a few tries to get things quite right, but sound works again;
> thanks to the patch in http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=26854,
> I'm (still) able to use the keyboard Fn+End chord to mute the sound
> during boot (so that process is less disruptive in meetings).  (BTW, it
> would be nice to get that tiny little patch in before 4.4-R.  Please?)
>
> And yes, Linux emulation still works.

	Linux emulation is fine... it seems to be sysctl -a will hang on
different devices from the information we've seen so far.  With me, it
hangs when these two are added and everything works fine when these two
are gone.

# Enable the linux-like proc filesystem support (requires COMPAT_LINUX
# and PSEUDOFS)
options                LINPROCFS
options                PSEUDOFS

	COMPAT_LINUX isn't the problem.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin