Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:11:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard disk problems and some questions...

> 1) I just installed a UDMA IDE drive in a AMD 486/100 based PC with a VLB I/O
> card.  It seems to work perfectly fine as long as no standard IDE drives are
> hooked up to the same IDE controller that it is on.  However, with 32-bit
> access and multi-block 16 turned on, the performance of the hard drive is a bit
> low.  I use the following ultra simple command to gauge all of my storage
> devices against each other:

	You stated your own answer right here. You're running a VLB
controller, don't expect it to run a UDMA drive as well as a Pentium
machine can. You're trying to compare performance on a what, 16 bit
contoller, versus the 32 bit controller on the Pentium motherboard. Of
course one is going to be a tad bit slower. :)

					Rick