Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 18:27:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A funny superblock!

Today I was trying to recover a 2.0.5 disk that got scrambled after
a panic, and found out that both the / and /usr partitions had a
bad superblock. Before updating them, I decided to have look with
hexdump, and found out that the superblocks on both partitions were
"almost" correct, except that they were offset by two bytes on the
disk (i.e. useful data started at byte 2 instead of 0).

Kind of funny; can someone think of a reason for this ?

I tried to resync the superblock, at which point fsck complained
that the alternate superblocks contained different information. I
gave up and "fsck -b 32 -y" ...

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/