Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 01:25:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        cp@bsdi.com (Chuck Paterson)
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

> }If this isn't possible on an x86, please don't laugh too hard. I
> }really don't know much about low-level x86 details.
> }
> }Cheers,
> }
> }Drew
>
> 	It can be done. In BSD/OS and Solaris however the locks must
> be gotten because they are what protect from interrupt service.

NT and Windows do this today for VxD jump tables, when one VxD uses
the entry points of another on which it depends.

Go out to the Microsoft developer site, and look for documentation
on the function "peloader" in any Windows 9x or higher DDK.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.