Date:      Wed, 19 May 2004 11:25:23 -0700
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        "Robert Dayton" <rob@dayton.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to install FBSD5.2.1 and Windows XP what  proceedure to follow.

I don't think this discussion is laptop brand specific, so I comment
below based upon my ThinkPad experience.

rob@dayton.homeip.net said:
>You don't have to trash anything. Use Partition Magic to shrink your
>WindowsXP partition and set up one for FreeBSD.

Sometimes you do.  Partition Magic didn't work for me because there
were some Windows files it refused to move (probably kernel or paging
files).  Those files had to be moved to make enough room.  So I backed
up, repartitioned using the FreeBSD CD, and used the vendor's product
recovery CD and the backup to recreate a Windows partition of the
desired size.
--
M/S 258-5                |1024-bit PGP fingerprint:|tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center| 41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59|     (650) 604-4416