Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:00:41 -0400
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 100baseT through etherswitch ...

At 04:36 PM 10/20/99 -0300, you wrote:

>Morning all...
>
>	I have a computer connected to an etherswitch at work,
>100baseT...doing an FTP of a 300Meg file to another computer on the same
>etherswitch, also doing 100baseT, how many MB/s should I expect to see
>*max*?  Oh, both hosts and the etherswitch are running  half-duplex...
>
>Thanks...

I assume "etherswitch" is an ethernet switch.  If so, why are you running
half duplex?

Ideally, 100BaseTX half-duplex should give you an FTP speed of just over
10MB/sec.  There are numerous reasons why this speed might not be
attainable, but if these are relatively new machines then you should be
able to get close.  Probably the biggest performance impact would be:

1. Quality of the ethernet card (cheapo's and you will suffer in both speed
and CPU utilization)
2. Fast enough drives to write and read the data (new SCSI/UDMA or even
better striped drives)
3. Enough CPU to keep everything happy (highly dependant on the above two)

Of course I could be wrong..

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com