Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:39:59 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why? (Was: Re: FreeBSD, the follower of Linux ?)

At 06:40 PM 8/31/99 -0700, David Greenman wrote:

> >The BSDs' market share is currently shrinking, and its mindshare (while
> >I and others have worked to boost it) is not keeping pace with that of
> >Linux. Again, it is being squeezed out of its ecological niche. "Patience"
> >will only result in a continuation of this trend.
>
>    You've said this repeatedly on many occasions, but I have yet to see from
>you one tiny shred of evidence to back it up.

There's plenty. Check out the various Internet host surveys, such as the
one at http://leb.net/hzo/ioscount/data/r.9904.txt: BSDs down, Linux up.
Linux is, according to The Gartner Group, the only non-Microsoft
operating system which is gaining market share.

>On the contrary, all of my
>numbers show that FreeBSD is growing rapidly - in fact, faster than Linux.
>This is despite the fact that Linux is apparantly making inroads into the
>desktop market. My numbers are real numbers based on product sales and
>download stats.

Walnut Creek's sales and downloads are unlikely to be an accurate reflection
of the world at large. They are also likely to be biased in favor of FreeBSD,
since there are many other sources for Linux.

 >  ...and why are you still trolling on the FreeBSD lists

Your message is a wonderful demonstration of some of the points I've made. In
particular, your unwarranted personal attack, in the fragment above, is typical
of what happens whenever anyone on these lists does not toe the party line and
pretend that all is fine and dandy. It is also why I am concerned about
supporting
FreeBSD.

 >after switching some months ago to OpenBSD?

Oh? And where did you dredge up this bit of misinformation?

--Brett Glass