Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:44:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Japanese printing Q

Hi all,

I spend more and more time working with some Japanese colleages, and at
the same time I'm working on learning some Japanese...taking an
intermediate Japanese class this fall, and there's more to come.  Along
the way I've been working on the Japanese-capability of my home PC here.

I've figured out ways to send/receive Japanese-encoded email, and I can
even view Japanese text files.  The nut I have not been able to crack,
under any terms, is how to *print* Japanese to my non-Japanese printer.  I
have an HP Laserjet 5L, which I believe is a PCL printer, so I use
apsfilter to talk to it.  For all non-J sorts of things, this works fine.

I can't figure out what combination of things has to happen to print Kanji
to this printer.  I've wandered aimlessly through the ports tree, even
submitted a PR or two.  But I can't print!  Can anybody toss a suggestion
my way?

Thanks,

Brian