Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:40:43 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fix: lock order reversal proc/filedesc.

At 3:04 AM -0800 2/14/03, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>* Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> [030214 02:52] wrote:
>>  Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> writes:
>  > > Thanks to Paul Saab's work on fixing twe(4) I was able to
>  > > get a crash dump from my box
>  >
>  > How?  I can't get a crash dump in -CURRENT, even on a plain
>  > jane ata disk, and it's been months since I last managed to
>  > get one.
>
>I dunno, it just works for me.  Get a twe? :)
>
>What exactly is broken about dumps for you on ata?  It's upsetting
>to hear this, don't people realize that this is a VERY important
>feature for allowing people to get things done in FreeBSD?

When I was getting a panic on current a few weeks ago, I tried
several times to generate a dump, and never got one.  In my bug
reports here, I mentioned that I couldn't get a panic, but since
no one replied to that I assumed it must have been something I
was doing wrong, or it was directly related to the same problem
which was causing the panic.  (the bug seemed to be something
in softupdates, so it was plausible to me that maybe the disk
had been put into a weird state by the bug).