Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:42:08 +0100
From:      Johann Kois <jkois@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Subject:   Re: Cannot make lint for handbook

--nextPart1443309.il2QtdPYXv

Hello,

On Saturday 17 March 2007 18:01, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Please Cc: my in your replies.
>
> I've just checked out the handbook.   I've followed the ftp-primer
> quick start, but I cannot make lint.  It fails with the attached
> error.
>
> There are multiple errors.  According to the Makefile, it seems the
> .inc files are dynamically generated albeit I don't really understand
> why they aren't here.

You are right.  These files are dynamically generated.  You have to
do a "make" before you can do a "make lint".  After that they will
be there.

I use the following toolchain when building my docs:
# make clean && make && make lint && make install

> The last error may be related, but I don't know the DocBook format
> so I can't really understand the problem.

Hm.  In this case it is indeed related.  The inc-files are missing.
So you get an error message.

Normally such a message would only tell you where you can find the
error in the document (for example a typo).  In your example it
would be in the file "handbook/book/eressources/chapter.sgml" on
line 1736 and in column 9.  But in this case there is no error
in this file.  If the inc-files exist, this error will not occur.

Just build the handbook with the above toolchain and everything
should be fine.

J. Kois