Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 10:17:36 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
Cc:        <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Target Mode] Was: Ooops - sorry

On 5/2/98 5:39 AM, Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com) said:

>I personally don't like Adaptec monopolizing the SCSI chip business.

Me either.

Fortunately there are other chips around but unfortunately not too many
people use them.  AMD has a family of SCSI chips.  (The Am79C974 is a
combination Ethernet and SCSI-2 PCI chip that one of our customers is
looking at for a custom board design.)  I thought that CMD and Motorola
also made some SCSI chips, but I may be mistaken.  There are probably
others.

I suspect that if Adaptec prices their chips too high, the lower-end
PCI-card vendors will simply switch to someone else's chips to keep their
costs down, and it'll also give a lot of incentive to other chip makers
to get into the SCSI-chip business.

    -- Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>