Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:19:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Siegbert Baude <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        chad@DCFinc.com, Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IA64booting was:Re: Dangerously Dedicated

> For the IA64 no dd will work at all, as a valid MBR is a strict requirement.

When I first heard this I about threw up.  It makes me sick.  And a fat32
partition is required for booting too.  blech.  As a co-worker is fond of
saying,  'All the problems with the pc-architecture can be traced back one
way or another to weird bios and bios-compatability problems...'

The ONE good thing about the Itanic :) and it's booting specification is
that there _IS_ a specification, that specfies exactly what to do.  Thus,
perhaps there will be a bit more uniformity in hardware design.

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.