Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 08:24:21 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        NIcky Lai <nickylai@sirius.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ?? Virus detected on CD FSB_330A ???

[this message forwarded to FreeBSD-questions]

On Tuesday, 30 March 1999 at 11:59:58 -0800, NIcky Lai wrote:
> I just bough the FreeBSD Version 3.0 CD and the book Complete FreeBSD 2nd
> edition. I am doing backup of the CDs before I install the FreeBSD, during
> the process the Trend PC-cillin 98 program with virus Pattern #502 detected
> a virus on CD number one as follows:
>
> Virus name:   PRESTO *
> TOOLS\OSBSBETA.EXE (OS-BS\OS-BS.COM)
> TOOLS\OSBS135.EXE (OS-BS\OS-BS.COM)

Interesting.  I wonder what the information in parentheses means.

> On the other hand, I am beginning to read the book before I do the
> installation. The name PRESTO is being use as an example in page 46
> and may be other pages as well. Could this be a coincident that the
> word use in one OS will misinterpreted as virus in another OS?
> Anyway, I like to point it out because you people know it much
> better.

Well, the book uses the name presto (not PRESTO) as the name of one of
the example systems, but I can't see why this would be a problem.
These files are quite old:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   31290 Sep 12  1993 osbs135.exe
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   41111 Aug  4  1994 osbsbeta.exe

I don't even know what they're intended to do.  According to
00_index.txt in the same directory:

  osbs135.exe     An alternate boot manager (not the one FreeBSD uses)
  osbsbeta.exe    A more advanced BETA version of the above

> Please let me know if there is any problem.

There's certainly no problem unless you use them in a Microsoft
environment.  Since there are no instructions, I'd suggest just
ignoring them altogether.

Greg