Date:      Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:28:05 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        andrew@mediashell.org
Cc:        freeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Slow DNS

On Aug 3, 2005, at 12:10 PM, andrew@mediashell.org wrote:
> Problem: I just got my named up and "working" however resolving a
> domain takes an unusual amount of time and the only way to go to a
> domain on a user computer is to ping it on the server first. I'm
> sure it is just an option I forgot to set, however can not figure
> it out. Any help is greatly appriated.

Use "dig" or "nslookup" to debug what your nameserver is doing,
perhaps your clients aren't permitted to talk to the named process...?

Check /var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf for a listen-on line, and
change that from 127.0.0.1 to your local subnet, or comment it out
entirely, depending on what you want to do.

--
-Chuck