Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 23:14:40 -0500
From:      steve farrell <spfarrel@midway.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   getwd/nfs problem

please let me know if this is the wrong list to post this to...

i'm trying to use cvs w/freebsd, and have managed to track down a
persistent error:

cvs [update aborted]: cannot get working directory: No such file or directory

to a failure of the getwd() function.  this function seems to work
fine for local disks, but nfs mounted disks (server = solaris 2.5/sparc),
such as my home directory, simply give this error.  i've confirmed that
this works fine solaris->solaris nfs mount, so it is not a problem
with cvs per se.

the text "No such file or directory" is actually what is returned by
getwd().  there are no symbolic links involved.

having read the getwd() manpage, i see that it is denigrated, so i thought
i might be able to work around it and actually submit a patch or something
productive like that... but there are some functions that use getwd() not
just to confirm that the current directory is readable, but to compare
the cwd with some other.  couldn't find any alternative to getwd() for
this need, so i figured i'd stop and write this email.

cvs 1.8.1 / freebsd-stable (~ 2 weeks old since last sup/build)

(sidenote -- gnu stuff out of the box doesn't seem to like the default
/bin/sh... any harm in replacing it with bash?)

thanks much --