Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:37:52 -0500
From:      Russell Meek <russell@russellmeek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0 GENERIC Kernel perfomance

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 05:32:12PM +0000, Dmytro Surovtsev wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Maybe it's my own opinion but I've discovered that 6.0 kernel is much
>>slower than 5.4, I mean GENERIC in both cases.
>>

>It's only your own opinion until you share with us the measurements
>that led you to conclude this.  FreeBSD 6.0 is much faster than
>FreeBSD 5.4 in my measurements, especially in the area of filesystem
>performance.
>

>>And, as well, 6.0 works
>>right with the set of ports come with it in distribution inly. Nearly
>>any new port can not assemble with differnent errors, mostly like: "The
>>version of library XXX is installed, it's conflict with XXX-1, please do
>>pkg_delete, and pkg_add then". But after than nearly nothing works.
>>

>This is not a FreeBSD 6.0 problem, it indicates that you aren't
>upgrading your ports properly.
>
>Look into the portupgrade tool, and if you have specific problems with
>using it, then post specific questions.
>
>Kris

Dmytro,

The stock Generic Kernel for 6.0-Release has debugging features which
according to the kernel developement team where left in during release.

Try to recompile the Generic Kernel with the option debug -g commented
out and see if that helps with the speed issues you have encountered.

Thanks,

Russell