Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:07:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jim flournoy <bsdspaceman@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I can't get my net install to work

Thanks for the pointers - this e-mail should be text
based now.  Hollar at me if I'm wrong!  more below..

Flournoy wrote:

> > Hello all. I'm trying to install onto on old ibm
pc server. its a
> > p75 with a 3com509 nic and 2 4g scsi hd's. it has
no cdrom. i'm
> > trying to do a ftp installation as described on
the cd but it always
> > fails as soon as i change the 'release name' on
the options menu to -
> > any.
>
>Why are you doing that? '-' isn't a release name,
neither is 'any'.
>If I'm misunderstanding you and you actually typed
something
>different, please tell us exactly what it was.

I typed "any" without the quotes because I thought I
was prompted to, but no, I'm not mixing distributions.

I tried again without changing this. I'm doing an ftp
install for a machine without a cdrom.  I did edit the
passwd file of the data server as instructed.  Still I
can't seem to get the path right. I have tried

ftp://192.168.0.10
ftp://192.168.0.10/cdrom
ftp://192.168.0.10/pub/FreeBSD

in all these cases it can't seem to find the install
image.  Is there a better path I should be using?

maybe ftp://192.168.0.10/cdrom/DestinationDir?

also, on a related note - can this be done using a
laptop as the data server?

Thank you,
Jim