Date:      Fri, 3 Jun 2016 13:12:18 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric van Gyzen <vangyzen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No debug info for statically linked stuff

On 3 June 2016 at 12:49, Eric van Gyzen <vangyzen@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I'm running head from Tuesday (r301045).  I just noticed that "ar" is
> missing the debuginfo for libarchive:

I discussed this with Eric off this thread, but for the sake of others
this is happening because WITH_DEBUG_FILES enables -g when building
binaries and shared libs, but doesn't make any change for static
libraries.

Presumably we want WITH_DEBUG_FILES to just enable -g when building
static libs as well (and avoid stripping on install). Probably need to
leave it disabled for the Clang/LLVM/LLDB libs, because enabling that
would add a significant amount of time to buildworld. I think GNU ld
2.17.50 might not even be able to link a debug build of Clang on i386.