Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:27:11 -0500
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@sweetdreamsracing.biz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
Subject:   Re: NVidia driver not using AGP?

Quoting Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>:

> On 11/29/04 05:16 PM, Kenneth Culver sat at the `puter and typed:
>> Quoting Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>:
>> <SNIP> > The xorg.conf card section is:
>> > Section "Device"
>> >   Identifier "NV TwinView"
>> >   VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
>> >   Driver "nvidia"
>> >   # update this with the PCI id of your card.  Consult the output
>> >   # of the 'lspci' command. The  BusID is usually optional when
>> >   # only using one graphics card.
>> >   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
>> >   BoardName   "NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
>> >
>> >   # These are extras that may need removal
>> >   Option "NoLogo" "True"
>> >   Option "RenderAccel" "True"
>> >   Option "NvAGP" "0"
>>
>> The above line turns of AGP altogether.
>
> No, it turns off the NVidia AGP driver:

Wrong. From nvidia's readme:
Similar to the NVIDIA Linux Driver Set, the user can decide if the NVIDIA
driver should use its internal AGP GART driver or if it should rely on an
OS provided AGP GART driver with the "NvAGP" XFree86 config file option:

  - Option "NvAGP" "0"       Disable AGP
  - Option "NvAGP" "1"       Use NVIDIA's AGP GART Driver
  - Option "NvAGP" "2"       Use the OS AGP GART driver (agp.ko)
  - Option "NvAGP" "3"       Attempt "2", fall back to "1"

If you want to use the OS's AGP driver, you'll have NvAGP set to 2, you
have it
set to 0, which means NO agp at all.

> # sysctl dev.agp
> dev.agp.0.%desc: Intel 82875P host to AGP bridge
> dev.agp.0.%driver: agp
> dev.agp.0.%location: slot=0 function=0
> dev.agp.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x8086 device=0x2578 subvendor=0x1028
> subdevice=0x0157 class=0x060000
> dev.agp.0.%parent: pci0
>
> The FreeBSD agp device is still active.

It may be active but it's not being used.

>> > <SNIP>
>> > # sysctl hw.nvidia
>> > hw.nvidia.agp.card.rates: 8x 4x
>> > hw.nvidia.agp.card.fw: supported
>> > hw.nvidia.agp.card.sba: supported
>> > hw.nvidia.agp.card.registers: 0x1f000e1b:0x00000000
>> > hw.nvidia.agp.status.status: disabled
>> > hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver: n/a (unused)
>>
>> The above lines confirm that AGP is off.
>
> They confirm that NVidia AGP is off.

No, see above... if FreeBSD's agp was working, hw.nvidia.agp.status.status:
disabled would say enabled instead... and looking at the source code for the
driver, hw.nvidia.agp.status.driver would say freebsd (agp.ko).

>> > <SNIP>
>> According to your system, AGP isn't working on your system either.
>
> My video is working quite well with the FreeBSD AGP device.  I've
> never worked with a system that had more responsive video, and that's
> using the twinview feature to run two monitors.  Makes me want to work
> from home all the time, since my work desktop is a pokey old 440Mhz
> hacked together piece of junk that was built 5 years ago.
>
> Just because NVidia wrote their own AGP driver doesn't mean every one
> of their cards must have it to function well.  I believe it is
> mentioned in the linux readme that some cards are better off with the
> AGP driver that comes with the OS.  I know I read something to that
> affect somewhere.

The video on my machine is still fairly responsive with the AGP turned off as
well, and several games are playable as well, but that doesn't mean AGP is on.
Your system most definitely has AGP turned off... and I'm willing to bet that
if you set NvAGP to 2 in order to use the OS's agp, you'd either crash, or it
just wouldn't work.

Ken