Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:49:49 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>, freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem detecting POSIX symbolic constants

Bruce Evans wrote:
> _POSIX_REALTIME_SIGNALS is only valid in versions of POSIX that support
> it.  Applications must also conditionalize on _POSIX_VERSION if they
> want to check for features that are not in all versions.

Yeah; I mentioned that I was afraid of this...

> Runtime configuration only lets us go forward in time.  An application
> might use POSIX realtime features if they are available and magically
> start working better (without recompiling anything in the application)
> when the OS and/or library implementors get around to implementing the
> features.

Don't get me wrong; I understand why the feature is defined; I
just don't think that any sane programmer is going to write two
sets of runtime variant code, when they can write one set of
compile time variant, but runtime invariant, code.

The POSIX committee would do us all a favor if, instead of doing
things like this, they concentrated on standardizing shared memory,
distributed file locking, and the ability to free up ranges of
blocks in the middle of files (as examples).

-- Terry