Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 00:13:31 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA and UDMA

Hi!

i read the thead a while back on udma.

here's something pretty strange. I have two disk, each on a
separate channel. Same controller (a rather old intel server
board, running with one (out of two possible) pentium pro.

The two disk are identical, bought together, and I use vinum with
them, so the load should be about the same. What happens is,
after booting. the second drive give timeouts, and at the end the
system degradese it (fallback to PIO mode). Hence, a sysctl
hw.atamodes give "dma,---,pio,---". Now, the disk are identical.
After this initial boot problem, not much has happened. I have
done a number of buildworlds on the machine to stress it, and it
seems to be running fine.

Just for sports (this machine is not important to me at the
moment :) I tried to force the second drive back to dma, and it
immediately locked up so much that I had a hard time getting pio
back due to system freezes (at least for remote usage :). It
never went down, though, just spitted out many timeout messages.
I have set both drives to pio for now...

Here's some lines from the dmesg:

atapci0: <Intel PIIX3 ATA controller> port 0xf000-0xf00f at
device 7.1 on pci0
ad0: 9641MB <IBM-DTTA-371010> [19590/16/63] at ata0-master using
WDMA2
ad1: 9641MB <IBM-DTTA-371010> [19590/16/63] at ata1-master using
WDMA2
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
vinum: loaded
de0: enabling 100baseTX port
ad1: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
ad1: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
ad1: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. done
ad1: READ command timeout - resetting
ata1-master: WARNING: WAIT_READY active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
ad1: trying fallback to PIO mode
ata1: resetting devices .. done

Has anyone been able to shed light on this bug? Is there any
other way, apart from sysctl, to force pio until it is fixed?

Cheers!
Palle