Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2014 09:55:45 -0500
From:      Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
To:        David Morgan <david.morgan@gmail.com>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?B?QmVybmhhcmQgRnLDtmhsaWNo?= <decke@bluelife.at>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vboxvideo issues

On 01/09/2014 09:35, David Morgan wrote:
> On 09:21 Thu 09 Jan     , Kris Moore wrote:
>> On 01/09/2014 01:45, Bernhard Fröhlich wrote:

>>> I googled around a bit and it seems this error message is not fatal it
>>> only tells that the vboxvideo DRI interface is not full featured but
>>> it's the same on linux.
>>>
>>> The real problem seems to be 3D acceleration which you should turn off
>>> in the vbox settings for that vm - but this was also from an ubuntu
>>> bug ticket so it does not look like a FreeBSD specific problem.
>>>
>> I run all my VMs' with 3D acceleration disabled in the VBox host, but
>> having it enabled / disabled does not seem to make a difference. Since X
>> does seem to start and then 'hang' at a black-screen, it looks like no
>> error messages are being generated.
>>
>> Anybody else seeing this using 10.X client VM's and trying the vboxvideo
>> driver? Has anybody else tried it and had it work?
>>
> On -CURRENT, I have a similar problem when using the new xorg, but it
> works fine if I set WITHOUT_NEW_XORG and downgrade.
>
> Dave

That makes sense, we use the new xorg by default here.

I just found a work-around:

If you explicitly disable AIGLX in your "ServerLayout" section, it then
works, both with 3d enabled in the host and not.

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"