Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 11:09:56 -0500
From:      grl@marconi.ih.lucent.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Cannot mount CDROM

FreeBSD:

- Can I install from CDROM?
  I'm tring to install FreeBSD 2.1 (from CD ROM) to an
  HP Vectra with an IDE drive (Western Digital 1.6G).
  I picked up the 2.2-960612-SNAP Boot floppy from the FTP
  site and noticed that it does recognize my CDROM on boot.
  The Hard Drive and CDROM are on separate controllers.
  I never see the CDROM light come on (FreeBSD is in the drive)
  and the boot says "media unknown."
  Install allows me to select CDROM media without complaints but
  when it tries to access it, the mount fails:

	Error mounting /dev/wcd0c on /cdrom - Input/Output error (5)

  (I was able to install the basic package by coping to DOS but still
   could not install any packages. Thought maybe the symbolic links
   didn't copy to DOS - it read the Package Index bvt could not
   access the packages).

- Matrox and FreeBSD?
  I have a Matrox Millenium video card and understand it is not
  supported by FreeBSD.  Also heard that I can use X-Inside with
  FreeBSD and this card to run X-applications. Is this correct?
  I'll be using it to display X-applications on the PC at home
  from the UNIX-Sun systems at work (via 28.8 modem/PPP for now).

 Grant R. Lee
 grlee@lucent.com

 Lucent Technologies
 1000 E. Warrenville Road