Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 1995 14:05:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 vs. ATI (again)...

On Tue, 31 Jan 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Anyone out there actually have a working XFree86 V3.1 + ATI VGA Wonder XL
> > (or any other ATI VGA Wonder variant) combination out there?
>
> That you didn't get an answer is probably a "no".

Actually Erin MacNeil <macneri@statcan.ca> had the answer!!  It turns out
the XF86_SVGA server in V3.1 is broken re ATI cards, and he passed on a
patch he got from the developers to fix the problem.  I applied the
patch and >BOING< all is well!! :{) :{) :{)  The developer indicated it
would be fixed in V3.1.1 of the code.

		... snip ...

> Basically, after doing an (redirect otherwise if not using csh):
>
> 	X -probeonly >& /tmp/f00
>
> You need to put the clocks in an explicit "Clocks" line in your XFree86
> config.

This is actually explained in the installation documentation.  The only
problem is that the (unpatched) SVGA server only finds a single clock -
75Mhz.  It then returns a ton of zero clocks and the one 75Mhz clock.
The patch fixes that.

		... snip ...

> Frobbing the mode line until it works is occasionally a good way to cook
> your monitor unless you are very quick and only use clocks that the
> monitor can sync (quick applies to cutting the monitor power).

This is a GOOD WARNING - most people don't know that if they screw up the
sync rates on a monitor they can easily fry the flyback transformer as
energy at the wrong frequencies is stuffed down it.  If you don't get
video in the first couple of seconds, BE PREPARED TO TURN YOUR MONITOR
OFF (or see smoke coming out of it...)

		... snip ...

Thanks for your help!

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |