Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:34:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   -newbies

	FreeBSD-newbies needs to be removed. I've been on it since it was
created and can say that it is not living up to it's orginal purpose. If I
remeber right, and a quick check of the archives seems to confirm,
-newbies was created only if no questions were asked there. In the last
year or two it has been a low-traffic list. Most every post across it has
either been a cross-post, OR a question! Despite my and several other's
efforts to keep it on topic, and questions posted where they belong, it is
somehow attracting questions. Many of which are not even close to being
newbie questions!
	In the intrest of keeping everything in one place, and to keep
people from thinking the FreeBSD project is not "helping" them when they
send questions to newbies, that don't get answered. (Or worse yet, may get
answered wrong,) we need to remove this point of contact. Like I
mentioned, I've tried to help direct people to the correct list, but do
not have time (or desire) to catch every single mis-post.
	The only other option I see is that a core of dedicated people
make it their job to actively redirect these misposts and/or try to come
up with topcis to keep the group on track

	Rick

Rick's FreeBSD Help Site! http://www.1nova.com/freebsd
Ace Logan's Hardware Guide http://www.shatteredcrystal.net/hardware
***FreeBSD - The Power to Serve! http://www.freebsd.org