Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:34:15 +0100
From:      "Peter C. Verhage" <petercv@zeelandnet.nl>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ports which use a JDK

There should be some clever check within the ports system that can make it
possible to have an dependency that can be one of multiple other ports.

E.g.
Apache-Jserv can be used if you use jdk-1.1.8, jdk-1.2.2, linux-jdk1.2.2,
linux-jdk1.3.0 but the port will only compile if you use the first one...

So everytime I want to install a port like Apache-Jserv that uses a JDK, I
have to manually change the Makefile to point to another JDK port. This is
not such a big deal, but I think the ports system could check if one of the
above is available instead of just checking for one.

And maybe if it doesn't find one of the above the user could represented
with an option to compile one of the above...

I noticed the PostgreSQL 7.0.3 seems a bit smarter, because in of the
scripts it uses it checks for jdk1.1.8 or jdk1.2.2 but it still isn't
perfect because it doesn't check for the linux ports, and this is not
something the Makefile seems to support on it's own, because it has been
hacked into the special script...

Another thing I noticed are the phpPgAdmin and phpMyAdmin ports, they also
have to check for either PHP3 or PHP4, but instead of checking this on their
own you have to compile it (if you want to use with PHP4) with the command
line option -DWITH_PHP4. Some structure like that could also be used for the
ports that depend on a certain JDK...

I hope this is the correct e-mail address to report this kind of issues.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about what the hell I'm
exactly meaning with the above ;)

Regards,

Peter