Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 21:53:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      garyh@agora.rdrop.com (Gary Hanson)
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Mersenne Primes

>  > There was some data in the first announcement that I saw about the
>  > project (or perhaps on the web site) that *in this application* 4
>  > Pentium 133(?)s = one Cray.
>
> Is this factoring in code optimized for a Cray?  On typical mundane
> code, the Cray is nothing spectacular; just for code that has been
> vectorized.

  Considering that the heart of the algorithm involves ffts, I'd have to
assume that it's vectorized. Quite accidently, I came across the original
source of my (slightly mangled) paraphrase above. For the dejanews fans
or the extremely anal, it was in article <4o36jd$7br@nntp1.best.com> by
Luke Welsh:

   In 1992, a Cray-2 took 19 hours to find that 2^756839-1 was prime.
   Today, a Pentium 166 takes only 21 hours...A Cray C90 took 7 hours
   to find 2^859433-1 in 1994, a Pentium takes just 24 hours. That
   means that 3 Pentiums almost equal one supercomputer, 4 will beat it.

  --Gary Hanson