Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 16:15:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        foobar!ok@univers.cv.ua
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997 foobar!ok@univers.cv.ua wrote:

> I've just installed FreeBSD2.2.2 Since I was doing an upgrade from 2.1.x,
> I copied certain initialization files from 2.1.x. to the new 2.2.2
> Everything seemed to be ok, except that when I run w or top, they didn't
> work normally, saying:
> ---w output---
> USER	TTY	FROM	LOGIN@	IDLE	WHAT
> w: kvm_getprocs: Is a directory: Is a directory
>
> ---top output---
> kvm_open: kvm_getprocs: Is a directory
> top: out of memory
>
> What can it be ? I haven't found anything that could help in kvm library
> sources.

You upgraded incorrectly. You needed to boot up the 2.2.2 install floppy
and select the 'upgrade' option.  This would have updated you properly.
Now your binaries and kernel are out of sync.

You need to build and install a 2.2.2 kernel.  The sources are available
as src/ssys.* in the distribution.  Just cd to /usr/src/ and run 'cat
/path/to/ssys.* | tar xzf -' to extract the binaries, then rebuild a
kernel as usual.  If you need to know how to build a kernel, see the
FreeBSD handbook.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo