Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 14:56:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        wayne@msen.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD local source copy

On Wed, 15 April 1998 at  1:03:42 -0400, wayne@msen.com wrote:

> We're currently a BSD/OS shop, looking at switching to FreeBSD as an
> alternative.

I'd guess that you'd be satisfied.  I migrated from BSD/OS over a
course of about 2 years, and didn't even install the latest update I
paid for.

> I've RTFM but did not see anything that detailed the
> procedure for installing source and doing all builds on one local
> machine and doing binary-only installs on all other servers.
>
> I can not believe that the intent is to have users always go out to
> ftp.freebsd.org each time they want to tinstall a package

No, I couldn't believe that, either.

> Anyway, a URL is fine if it's docced.  What we'd REALLY like to do is
> be able to install binaries for any given package on a local machine by
> using the binary install package which would look on bsdsrc.msen.com
> for the binary.  Should bsdsrc.msen.com not have it, IT would go out to
> the net to get current src.  Or, should we simply give up and just
> mirror the whole tree locally?

You're definitely best off keeping a copy of the source tree.
Depending on how great your need for bleeding-edge technology is, you
might be happy just to install from CD-ROM.  Most of the ports are
supplied on the CD-ROM as installable binary packages.  Otherwise
build them locally and install via NFS.

Does that answer your question?
Greg